Dating services in pensacola fl
Even into the early years of the 20th century, West Hillsborough had no paved roads, and transportation posed a major challenge.
A trip to the county seat, across the bay in Tampa, was generally an overnight affair and the automobiles that existed on the peninsula at that time would frequently become bogged down in the muck after rainstorms.
Clearwater would later become the first organized community on the peninsula as well as the site of its first post office.
The Armed Occupation Act, passed in 1842, encouraged further settlement of Pinellas, like all of Florida, by offering 160 acres (0.65 km²) to anyone who would bear arms and cultivate the land.
Local economies came into severe difficulties, and by 1930, St. Only after World War II would significant growth return to the area. The area's women and girls participated in the war effort as well.
During the war, the area's tourist industry collapsed, but thousands of recruits came to the area when the U. Hundreds of girls from the area's most prominent families formed a group called the Bomb-a-Dears, holding dances, socializing with recruits, and selling war bonds.
By 1957 Clearwater was America's fastest growing city.
The Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council was founded by the late mayor of St.
Petersburg, Herman Goldner, who sought without success during the 1960s to consolidate various municipalities and unincorporated areas in south Pinellas County.
Brothers James and Daniel Mc Mullen were members of the Confederate Cow Cavalry, driving Florida cattle to Georgia and the Carolinas to help sustain the war effort. Marston served in the 9th Florida Regiment as a part of the Appomattox Campaign. Otherwise the peninsula had virtually no significance during the war, and the war largely passed the area by.
Tarpon Springs became West Hillsborough's first incorporated city in 1887, and in 1888 the Orange Belt Railway was extended into the southern portion of the peninsula. Other major towns in the county incorporated during this time were Clearwater (1891), Dunedin (1899), and Largo (1905).